Creating Readers in Years 5&6
This is a two-part course:
Thursday 6th October 2022 10am – 12noon
Thursday 24th November 2022 10am – 12noon
Join this interactive, online two-part course that focuses on developing the skills of effective reading in upper KS2, as well as the enthusiasm to become a lifelong reader.
This two-part course encompasses the key elements of reading – word reading, fluency and comprehension. Recent research and guidance will be shared, along with the associated subject knowledge of these key elements, and participants will have the opportunity to explore a variety of practical, proven approaches for teaching and developing each aspect in the Year 5 and 6 curriculum. We will focus on equipping children with the skills, confidence and motivation they need to become enthusiastic, lifelong readers.
This course is suitable for Y5 and Y6 teachers and English Subject Leaders.
- develop an understanding of the elements of reading and the associated skills and strategies for effective teaching and learning
- consider the range of approaches to teach and develop reading skills and how they can be used effectively to meet learners’ needs
- discuss the use of quality, focused questioning and feedback in reading
- explore the development of meaningful discussion within reading sessions
- acquire practical ideas for use back in school
Joining instructions and course material will be sent out beforehand.
Due to the interactive nature of the session, please be aware that a ticket admits one delegate only.